Saturday, March 15, 2014

No SuperWoman Here

A few weeks ago I blogged about how I’m a work in progress.

As a Christian I mean (I’ve “arrived” at being a wife, mother, and ultimate friend……sike). Seriously though, I really am a work in progress. I can’t type that in dark enough ink. In part of my testimony in coming to Christ (I’ll have to blog maybe on that one day too), I’ve shared in the past with anyone that would listen how for years growing up in the Church I did a very good job of fulfilling the “good girl that’s saved” role. It took a long time of looking to the Bible as my mirror to see the darkness within my Spirit. For me at that time in my life, salvation was only skin-deep and to be totally honest that wasn’t much of a salvation at all. Today, part of my passion within my spiritual walk is seeking to know the Lord way beyond the superficial, I went to Church on Sunday in my best dress and read a Bible Verse and looked real spiritual doing it.

After coming to know Christ, but before I started delving into scripture to seek out God’s expectations for me as a Mother, I wore a super woman cape. I strived to do my motherly tasks in my own fleshly energy. As you might expect, I wore myself out a lot, both mentally and physically. As I learned that apart from Christ I could nothing and God’s power is made perfect in my weakness, I found that if I left my super woman cape in the closet, I worried less. Without the cape, I leaned and depended more on God than on myself. I’ve tried to pack that old cape away, but somehow it keeps climbing its way out of the storage chest and onto my back somehow.

I really do start out every morning with the right intentions. Believe me, I do. Study and meditation in the Word. Check. Prayer time while reflecting on what I just read. Check. Mental commitment of allowing the Lord to bless my words, my thoughts, and actions. Check. Sarcastic tone from kids coupled with complaining, and whining over their dislike of breakfast. Frustrated emotions erupt and thoughts of locking myself in the room for the day begin to fester.

As this scenario plays out in my life, my superwoman cape comes out to find me. Thoughts of doubt regarding God’s control over my life settle in and try to make a home in my mind and spirit. Slowly, I start to take the day in my own hands and without fail, I end up looking like a frazzled, uncontrolled, ill spirited mother….with a super woman cape on.

Some things that I’ve learned to keep that cape in the closet right where it belongs:
1)      Start out the day with the One who woke you up. Pray, read Scripture, meditate and ponder over what you’ve read, pray over what God has revealed to you through what you’ve read. Talk to God about your fears and concerns. While He knows all of your frailties, verbalizing them allows you to "unload" the mental burdens that you may carry. Its tempting to unload to your husband, girlfriends, or even on a blog. While these avenues that you make take to cast your burdens on can make you feel better as they pray for you and sympathize with you, they can't ultimately bring you the peace that God can. 

2)      If you’re able to recognize the things that tempt you to waiver from being controlled by God, to being controlled by your own, fleshly thoughts (or, negative, discouraging thoughts from Satan), arm yourself everyday with scripture that you can recite to yourself to replace the negativity with the Word.

3)      Whenever you seem to get in an endless, mindless pit of negative thoughts that you know are not of God and you’ve recited every verse that you can muster mental prowess to repeat, just repeat, “Lord, help me” or simply “Jesus” until the thoughts cease. The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us when we do no not what and how to pray for ourselves. As you bring your attention to God by uttering His name, you are recognizing that you need help and that you can't fix a situation within your own power. Its at this very place that God comes to our aid.

4)      When doubt sets in any area of your life that you know God is working, take time to contemplate and remind yourself of who God is. Study the attributes of God. God’s character alone pulverizes the petty things that we allow our minds to get wrapped around, paralyzing us from remaining hopeful in Christ.

5)      Consider what you listen to on the radio and watch on the telly (that’s what people from England call a television. I like to speak with an English accent sometimes). Are you watching a bunch of foolishness on tv that creates mental pictures in your mind that go against who and what God stands for? Are you listening to songs that put down God instead of lifting Him up? Or, songs that lift yourself up (feeding a sense of pride within yourself) instead of God?
 
Speaking of the radio (and, to bring this blog entry to a close cause it sure is long), I’d love to share the lyrics from a song that speaks to lifting up your life in surrender to the One who will never fail us. Even when it seems like we’ve tried all that we can to honor God and our plans are completely falling apart, don’t take things in your own hands and let that cape find its way to your back.

Just lift up your life up, once again in surrender.  Trust Him. He knows what He’s doing.

Lift Up My Life (by Unspoken)

You brought me this far so why would I question You now
You have provided so why would I start to doubt
I've never been stranded, abandoned or left here to fight alone
So I'm giving You control

I lift my life, lift my life up
I give it all in surrender
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
You can have it forever
All my dreams, all my plans
Lord I leave it in Your hands
I lift my life, lift my life up

Have Your way in me
Have Your way in me

If peace is a river then let it sweep over me
If I'm under fire I know it's refining me
When I hear You calling out I follow now wherever the road may go
I know You're leading me home

I lift my life, lift my life up
I give it all in surrender
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
You can have it forever
All my dreams, all my plans
Lord I leave it in Your hands
I lift my life, lift my life up

Have Your way in me
Have Your way in me

Take my life and let it be all for You
Take my life and let it be all for You

I lift my life, lift my life up
I give it all in surrender
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
(Take my life)

I lift my life, lift my life up
I give it all in surrender
(Take my heart)
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
You can have it forever
All my dreams, all my plans
Lord I leave it in Your hands
I lift my life, lift my life up

Have Your way with me
Have Your way with me
Have Your way with me
Have Your way with me

Take my life and let it be all for You


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/unspoken/liftmylifeup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment