Monday, December 8, 2014

I've Got A New She-ro

Has there ever been someone who's life captures your heart in such a special way that its like your heart has been ensnared in a trap, but you're so captivated that you don't want to be let go? It may be words that a person may say, the way in which they live their life, or acts of faith so endearing that you're moved to action yourself.

A sweet Mommy friend and I were talking in the nursery at Church one Sunday to pass the time about what we've been reading. She shared with me a book that that she reads every Thanksgiving to ponder over God's grace and mercy during this time of the year.  I became a little inquisitive about one of the authors in this book, wondering what was it about this author that made her want to read her writing during the season of Thanksgiving. What was so special about this author's life that beckoned her heart to be more thankful?

Joni Eareckson Tada was the author that she spoke of and as she described this woman's life, her struggles, trials, and journey with Christ, my heart stirred to know more about her story. In the few weeks that followed, Joni was on my mind and I didn't know much about her. I just knew that I wanted to know more about her Christian walk. As I came to learn about Joni, I was captivated, enthralled really at how God has worked in Joni's life through trials and suffering.

Instead of trying to give my own synopsis of Joni's life, my hope is that this meager rambling of mine about my new she-ro will move you to dig into Joni's world a little. I promise you that one peak in and you'll never be the same. As I read Joni's book, "The Glorious Intruder", and her biography, "Joni: An Unforgettable Story", my heart broke to read of her suffering, yet I was awed by the Lord's orchestration of what she went through to draw her to Himself and to make Himself known not just to Joni, but to one person after another. After closing the pages of her biography and disposing of my tissues that I went through from reading it, I was... speechless for just a bit. As I let the words from both books soak in for a minute, the words came to my heart and mind.

What an awe-inspiring, amazing, & awesome God we serve

No comments:

Post a Comment