Monday, June 23, 2014

Singing Your Own Tune

There are some talents that simply skip one generation and plop into the life of the next. That seems to be the case with singing. While I can carry a tune and sing in key, I don't think that I was gifted to sing with the likes of a song bird. I will forever hold dear the memories of sitting in the church pews listening to my Mother sing to the Lord like a songbird. It’s tempting to covet someone’s gift of singing as a beautiful voice can stir a heart and bring tears to your eyes. Who wouldn’t want the gift of singing?

While we all can’t be songbirds, God has given us the ability to hear and be blessed by those who can sing and move our Spirits. I started to take note in my youngest daughter Lea’s voice in her initial school years. My kids and hubby find humor in my attempts of singing around the house, but when Lea would sing I’d find myself not wanting her to stop. She’d sing and the little hairs on my arms would stand. Not only did her voice tingle my ears, it was as if she couldn’t stop singing. She sings while brushing her teeth, cleaning her room, and playing. Musical notes flow through her veins.
When the opportunity presented itself for her to take singing lessons, I thought that she'd jump at the chance to take lessons and sing before an audience. My assumptions were wrong.
While she loves to sing, she was afraid to sing in front of people! On the first night of her recital, her Daddy and I were beaming to see her sing with such confidence. I pray that she'll be encouraged to sing to the Lord & bring tears to the eyes of others with her melodious talent!


Its a blessing when you recognize the talents from the Lord and even more special when you come to realize the gift(s) from Him. 

While talents are abilities that we are blessed with from birth (i.e., singing, instrumental talents, athleticism, etc.), gifts from the Lord are granted to us as we come to know Christ as our Savior and are adopted into His family as His Child. The Bible refers to these as spiritual gifts. To each of God's children, spiritual gifts are given for the common good of the Church and as we come to know who we are in Christ and we use these gifts, God is glorified and members of His body, the Church, are blessed.

I encourage you to dig into the Word to understand the spiritual gifts that come from the Lord in His Word (You could start with, 1 Cor 12:4-11, Romans 12:3-8, Ephesians 4:11-16 in your studies). A Church where its believers exercise their gifts results is blessed as each person operates in a manner that honors God.

Like me, you may not be able to strum a violin or fill the halls of a coliseum with melodious tunes, but if you are God's child you have been gifted and can be a blessing to the Lord and others as you exercise your gift(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment