Friday, May 23, 2014

The Fretful Test.... Oh No!

We wrapped up our first year homeschooling curriculum this past week with a week of testing.

Testing wasn't anything new to the girls as they were familiar with being tested in private school. In some areas they were trying to "school" Mom a bit on how to conduct the tests, but I didn't let them get one over on Mom. I was probably more nervous than they were as I handed out the bubble sheets and booklets. It brought back memories from my own days of testing in school.
 
I never liked taking tests and I still don't like tests.
 
For a person that doesn't like taking tests, it's interesting when I have to go through tests as a student in God's classroom of life. When you think about the purpose of a test, its used to measure your knowledge of a particular area. As a Christian, our faith is tested. If our faith was graded, how well would it do? Do we we crumble under the pressure of trials or are we refined and changed more into God's image?

For as much as I don't like to be tested, the Bible tells us to,
  
Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:2-4)
 

Joy. Really?

I'm supposed to be joyful when going through a test? and, even more interesting,

It has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him but also to suffer. (Philippians 1:29)

If we were to think about the sacrifice that Christ made for all those that would believe in Him, we should consider it a privilege to suffer for Christ. To have the opportunity for Christ to glorify Himself through our life in suffering is a privilege.

When I think about being tested with this backdrop of truth from God's Word, it puts each and every test that I must go through into perspective and it causes me to place my faith and hope in God alone. My feelings and emotions will let me down, people will let me down, and my circumstances don't always look so promising, but God never changes.

As I look to God's Word, I find that the same God that provided for the men of old (Hebrews 11), is the same God that provides for His children today. Tests and trials bring about perseverance, proven character, & hope.

As our school room silenced to a hush as the kids colored in their bubbles and tried earnestly not to lose their place as they read and answered one question after another, I remember that in the tests of life though God may seem quiet for a period in life's classroom, He's still there at the head of the class. As I sometimes hunch over my desk full of circumstances that worry, perplex, and confuse me, He's there all the while catching my frustrated tears, strengthening my faith, and beckoning me to look to Him to make it through life's tests.

Sometimes when you wonder why you can't hear God's voice during our trials, remember the teacher is always quiet during the test. (~ Unknown Author)
 
What's on the other side of the test? For the girls, we had a pizza party & movie to celebrate their test survival.
 
For the believer? Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
 
That's sounds a lot better than pizza & a movie!

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you made it through your first year!!! May God continue to bless your journey and homeschooling adventures. :o) -Denise

    ReplyDelete