Thursday, February 6, 2014

Step Back In Time


 
I woke up to what I thought would be a regular homeschool day indoors. While feasting on my daily morning oatmeal and reading through my morning devotional, my thoughts trailed to thinking about taking a field trip. Yes, I do get distracted quite often. I had a desire to just pack up the kids and get out of the house for the morning. Its been a long while since I've taken the kids on a field trip and my list of locations for field trip adventures has been growing.
 
The girls have been studying the Northeast and Northwest Indians and we're about to start digging into African American History. I found out that the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center had a little exhibit on the Algonquian Tribe of Indians and historical artifacts from the Civil Rights Era. We got there as soon as they opened the doors and for the time period that we were there we had the entire museum to ourselves!
 
 

Lea took it upon herself to find a comfortable spot right in the middle the floor to take a few notes in her journal about the plants grown along the Rappahannock River in the Fredericksburg Area and used by the Indians.

It's a bit mind-blowing to think that in the not too far distant past, the world was a much different place than what it is today. Its interesting to see my girls reactions to the historical events of the past that are not watered down in an effort to mask the truth of how people were treated in America. Their study of the Indians was eye opening as I'm sure our studies into Slavery will be as well.

While the challenge of the facts and figures in Math have intrigued me and the grammar skills have motivated me to do more personal writing, History has been my most enjoyable subject by far this homeschooling year. Facts that I know I learned in school when I was a wee little one are now coming alive to me in a way that makes me appreciate the historical periods to an even greater degree.

I pray that History is just as memorable for the girls so that when they look back as grown women, they too can recall the events of history as if they had a peek back in time themselves.



 

6 comments:

  1. This was totally awesome. I went online and found this museum and we will be taking a trip there. Thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to go. Your blog is so inspiring.

    Blessings,

    Verlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know this museum existed! Its amazing what you can find when you search online and you don't have to even go that far! If you show your Homeschool ID Card (telling them you homeschool should work too) you get the teachers/educators discount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cool! And the fact that they got the entire place to themselves just personalizes it even more. Learning about history, all history, is sooo important lest it be forgotten. Lorra, you should put together a little assignment for the kids for our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assignment! Its the weekend... Jordan Homeschool Academy (JHA) is CLOSED (smile). I did find an Indian Museum in the Poconos area that I was considering doing for a drive-by field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Okay, well, we can at least squeak a field trip in!

      Delete
    2. We'll see if everyone else is so eager =)

      Delete