Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Great Read Continues...

In a previous blog entry, I wrote about an author that I just happened upon online and starting reading some of her books. I finished her books, “Her Mother’s Dream” and “Her Mother’s Hope” and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I was eager to read more of her books and chose, “A Voice in the Wind”, Book 1 in the Mark of the Lion Series.

By the time that I got to the 2nd and 3rd chapter I was tempted to put it down and stop reading. I just couldn’t get into the book. Similar to a movie, when I start a book I’m always looking for the point when the author grips me. With “A Voice in the Wind”, I had trouble getting connected with the characters, the setting, or the whole point of the story all together. At the point when I was ready to turn it back into the library, a friend who had read all of Rivers books encouraged me to keep on reading. I am so glad that I did.

The story is set in the time period after Christ has died and has risen to be with His Father in Heaven and the Jewish people that remain are persecuted for their faith. Hadassah, a young jewish girl, is the main character of the story and has been kidnapped and made a slave of a Roman family. The story intertwines Hadassah’s life along with several other characters who are worshippers of varying gods. As I’ve read the book, my heart has been blessed by so many aspects of the book as the author has brought to life the Roman customs and Jewish life of that time. I don’t want to give too much of the book away in case my blog readers decide to read it. I will say that though Hadassah was a Jew, she was also a Christian and her commitment to her faith will encourage any Christian to examine their faith and their walk with Christ.

Now that I’m just about done with the book and eager to start Book 2, “Echo in the Darkness”, I now know why the first few chapters had a slow start. So, if any of you all out there decide to start this series don’t let the build up discourage you.

It’s a great read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment