Sunday, September 8, 2013

Overrated

Sleep was so over rated in my past life.

Its 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning and I’m up blogging about sleep. In my past life this would never be. Sleep in all honestly used to my most favorite part of the day. I remember the moments of counting down until it was time to put the kids to bed so that I could tuck my ownself in and fall off to sleep. I’ve come to the conclusion that I was just an exhausted woman back then.

What a gift it is now to nap and sleep when I need to and I’ve seen the blessing this gift has been in my kid’s life as well. It still seems weird to be at the park past sunset and not feel the pressure of having to rush home for baths, doing hair, and story time so that they could be somewhat rested for a 6 a.m. dash out of bed to get ready for school. Nowadays I don’t even need to stir them in the mornings before school, they actually wake up on their own. I know this may seem awfully weird to some, an appreciation of what the gift of sleep can do, but it still boggles me.

As my pregnancy draws to its end in the 3rd trimester, I have to get up multiple times in the night to relief myself as the baby dances on my bladder. This break in my sleep through the night sometimes causes me to be a bit groggy in the mornings for school and there are days that my body yearns for more sleep as we do school in the day. What a sweet, lovely, gift it is to be able to finish school up by 1 or so and then crawl into bed for a nap. A nap in the middle of the day. How divine!

I retreated from our homeschool room on Friday last week to crawl into bed while the kids cranked up their tunes from VBS (vacation bible school) to have a dance party (this is their daily end of the school day ritual). They invited me to join them, but as the baby proceeded to have a dance party in my belly as I’m standing (I really don’t the recall my girls moving so much even when standing…..geesh), I asked for a rain check and headed for an hour or so of sweet slumber. I woke up to find them nestled up around me when I woke up as they watched cartoons.

I shared all that to say, now that sleep is no longer one of the biggest highlights of my day I’ll have to find another.

No comments:

Post a Comment