Friday, September 2, 2016

Year 4 - God's Grace


By God's grace we've entered another school year! The summer was a time filled with impromptu moments in the pool, catching up on movies we've wanted to see, and just plain relaxing. We also made a concerted effort this summer to maintain a weekly routine of doing Math and writing work.
As we enter our second week of school, I am praising the Lord that we were successful at executing a summer study schedule. There has been less heart ache and brain loss in Math this school year thus far because of the girl's commitment (along with Mom's weekly routine of leading a peaceful march to the school room) to doing some summer work.

As Lea enters 5th grade and Love officially becomes a 7th grader, there has already been a bittersweet moment. I realize that your kids grow and mature from year to year, but does it have to happen so fast? The first day of school last week Love asked if she could do all her Sonlight History Readers on her own. Isn't it enough that she's doing her own independent Science curriculum? Now history too? Ugh. I thought that I'd be all good with this letting-go process, but I have to say that it's harder than it looks.

The sweet part of the bittersweetness came when I glanced at Love's Science notebook at the end of the week. The notes were so thoroughly taken, neat handwriting, vocabulary words highlighted, etc. I didn't even give her instructions on how to take notes. She can't be doing things like that without prior instruction...can she?

She had come up with her own plan and was executing it. I guess she's just doing what I've been trying to get her to do since, well, forever. Be self-disciplined. Applying instruction independent of someone else having to tell you what to do.

Who would've thought that I'd be the one schooled the first week of school? Maybe I should've posed for a school picture too!

Lea 5th grade
Love 7th grade



No comments:

Post a Comment