Monday, August 26, 2013

SAHM

(written on Aug 21 2013)

I got the chance to write the words, “stay at home Mom” for the first time a week or so ago when we took Love to pick up her violin. I had to write down my occupation. At first I skipped the line and wrote down hubby’s occupation and then went back and thought, “What am I supposed to write?” Technically, today I’m a working Mom for 3 more days, but for the purposes of renting the violin I needed to document the fact that I will not be employed for the long term.

It was sort of freeing to write it down. I’ve been reflecting for the past week or so on the stay at home role since my co-worker gave me a book about SAHMs last week. I’m not sure if the author is a Christian, but she raises some interesting points that reflect the morals of a woman that chooses to sacrifice all else to stay home and raise her children. The book is called, “In the Praise of Stay-at-Home Mom” by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I’ve only gotten through a few chapters. The author apparently is known for her radio broadcasts where she counsels and encourages SAHMs. So far, its been an encouragement as the author raises a number of benefits to staying at home and its rare to find an author that dedicates a book to praising an unpopular profession.
This coming school year if Love would’ve remained at FCS, she would’ve had the opportunity to select an instrument to play in the school band or winds orchestra. I’m not sure exactly what specifically drew her to the violin, but she is oober excited to start learning the play the violin. A dear friend of ours, Sarah, from our Church is a beautiful violin player and Love took it upon herself to write her a letter (in her 9 year old speak) asking her if she’d be willing to teach her. Sarah was oober excited that Love was interested, so she gave us the hook up on a great little shop in Richmond that rents violins for a very affordable price.

I’m not sure how long the excitement will last… we’ll ride it for as long as her interests continues.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment