Thursday, April 23, 2020

Accountability Groups & Goal Setting

The last time that I wrote about fitness I was working out using my own personal library of fitness VHS tapes and DVDs. Many would have said that my fitness source was outdated (who uses a VHS tape player anymore?), but the medium that you use to workout isn't as important as the workout itself and whether or not you're actually using it to workout.

Since that last post, I've become a part of an accountability group that checks in with each other on a daily basis to share their workouts using an automated system that makes working out actually entertaining! I've written before about how being accountable to someone in your fitness regiment is paramount to being successful with maintaining a regular routine of  physical activity and it's still true.

This very key aspect is the reason that I joined the group in 2019 and have been extremely pleased with how this commitment has further encouraged me to workout on a consistent basis. Whether it is on vacation, cold seasons or hot seasons, knowing that someone is expecting me to workout helps me set personal goals and work to attain them.

As part of this group, I also now have access to an extremely large library of fitness programs that have their own set of fitness challenges that you can take on within a specific period of time. One might think, What's the big deal with setting a goal or fitness challenge? 

When it comes to fitness, goal setting challenges a person to push themselves beyond what they would normally accomplish or even desire to do. Without a goal in front of us, many of us would either do nothing or do whatever is minimally required.

Before joining the accountability group in 2019 I had never taken on a challenge set to a specific set of days and when I was presented with my first one, my first response was hesitation about doing one that would last for 21 days. It's something about being responsible for working out on each day and then having to report to someone that you've done the work that made me a little nervous.

What if I don't feel like working out on a certain day?
What if I have a scheduling conflict that gets in the way?
What if my body hurts too much and I don't feel like finishing the challenge?
What if I have trouble making the time and sticking with the schedule?

These questions and many others crossed my mind before signing up for my first challenge, but I took it on. By day 21, I realized that every answer to the questions that loomed in my head were only excuses.

People fulfill their responsibilities to the things that are important to them.

Everyday most people brush their teeth, they take showers, they cook their food, and they go to work. People do these things because the result of not doing them is unacceptable. Most people don't want dirty teeth, body odor, a growling stomach, or an empty bank account.

So, they do the work necessary in these areas.

I find that it is the same with fitness.
If living life as the best version of yourself is important to you, then doing the work to stay in shape becomes nonoptional. And if fitness isn't that important to you at this point in life right now then I encourage you to change your focus and consider joining a group of other people in the journey of making fitness a priority and then start setting goals to keep you motivated.

If you're interested in learning more about the accountability group and goal setting that I've found extremely useful, please message me!

No comments:

Post a Comment