Saturday, December 14, 2013

Not Done Yet

I’m so thankful that God is a forgiving, merciful, and gracious God.

As I’ve spent many years within the Church and being taught and instructed in God’s Word you would think that “I’m good” with not just my biblical learning, but also in my walk as a Christian. I should have it all together when it comes to love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I should easily turn the other cheek when I’m wronged or never doubt that God is working everything out for good. By now, I’ve “arrived” to that place of being a super Christian, right?

The opposite is true.

For every moment that I live and strive to live my life for Christ and study God’s Word, the more I see how I fall short of God’s glory. Being just a good person that does some nice things for people isn’t the standard that Christ set in His life. He was perfect. And, while I will never live up to perfection in this fleshly, sinful body, I strive to examine my heart and mind everyday. We can be pretty good at making others think that we’re wonderful Christians by our exterior actions, but it’s the heart that truly shows the measure of a person. It’s the thoughts that pass through our heads about others that we don’t say or the emotions that we harbor about others that we should examine to see if we’re honoring God or ourselves. As we study God’s Word, it will highlight the continual work that needs to occur within our hearts. I love how the Bible shows us the true measure of our heart. If you think you’re good, just read about Jesus' life.

We’re all a work in progress.

When I find myself getting down on myself about how much I don’t measure up to showing perfect love, joy, peace, etc. I look at the Cross and the man upon it. Christ died on the cross and took my sins upon Him and daily through His Holy Spirit, my prayer is to be changed. As I see my sinfulness and repent of my sins, my sinful thoughts and attitude is changed by a perfect God. It may not be an overnight change, but it’s a change that God continues to make as I look to Him.

May our eyes look to the Cross and may we be changed.

2 comments:

  1. Lorra ... you, my sister/cousin/friend, have a gift. This one brought me to tears. So true ... it's a continual process and we fall short, so short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we think we have "arrived", it seems God takes us through another challenge as if to say, "ugh, ah, not quite my dear. You've got some more growing to do!"

    ReplyDelete