Monday, February 6, 2017

In Search of a Name

God, in His sovereignty, gave me two divine appointments to study His names. God's name(s) isn't like our name. We typically have a first, middle, and last name. He has a bountiful number of names because they each capture an aspect of His character. Our name is used to identify us. It is used to get our attention and single us out when we're needed. God's names paint a picture of His glory, power, and unique nature.

The first time that I went through the study, "Lord, I Want to Know You" by Kay Arthur, I left the last class with an appreciation that I had learned that God is identified thoughout the Bible with varying titles and those names brought me to a closer level of intimacy, knowing my Lord at a deeper level that I hadn't known before.

When I was invited to lead the class after I had just finished it as a student, I didn't realize how much more I would learn about my God. Although I had a level of familiarity with the material, I didn't let that discourage me in a second pass through the study. Instead, I challenged myself to commit the names and their meanings to memory. Once they were sealed in my mind I started reciting back God's names to Him in prayer.

I now address Him as Elohim, my creator and designer of all creation. I speak to Him now as El Elyon, sovereign ruler of the universe and over every aspect of my life. I am humbled by Adonai, my Lord. I now remember that whenever I have feelings of abandonement, He is El Shaddai, my all sufficient God. Though this world attempts to offer me completeness, I can find everything that I need in my El Shaddai.

My God exists all on His own. He is Jehovah, the self-existent one. All my needs are provided for in Jehovah-Jireh and His power to heal me is found in Jehovah-Rapha. As Jehovah-Tsidkenu He declares me righteous and sanctifies me as Jehovah-Mekoddishkem. I have peace in Jehovah-Shalom and a guide for life from Jehovah-Raah, my Shepherd. I have victory in every circumstance because the Lord is Jehovah-Nissi and I can have peace over evil, both seen and unseen as I rest in the truth that God is Jehovah-Sabaoth. The last name covered in the study that will forever stay with me is the fact that He's there. He was with His chosen people in the days of old, He appeared as a man in Jesus Christ, He's in me through the Holy Spirit, and one day He will return again to a holy city that will be called Jehovah-Shammah.

He can forever be in you if you bow your knee to Him, acknowledging Him as Lord in your life. I can't promise that life will be any easier or that you won't experience difficulties in life, but in knowing God's character I can promise that you'll have a friend for life and unexplainable peace and joy.

If you don't know His name, just pick one and start digging!

No comments:

Post a Comment