Monday, July 14, 2014

Preparing for Next Year

I'm getting pumped for the 2014-2015 school year as we're going to be delving into new curriculum material. The kids seem to be excited too. When the curriculum box of books arrived in the mail the other day they asked if we could start school that day.
 
In our first year of school I kept things pretty open with the girl's curriculum because I wanted to see where their interests, strengths, and weaknesses were. It became evident within the first few months that they have a strong foundation in reading and truly enjoy reading, so I'll be leveraging off of that with the Sonlight curriculum. I've chosen a core that will enable me to instruct the girls together in both history and reading with Love reading a set of Advanced Readers in addition to the Readers that her sister will read.  In our first year we pulled from Book Lists in both history and for reading comprehension. While this gave us freedom to read what we desired, it required additional work on my part to select and find library books based on varying themes and topics that I wanted the girls to study. I'm looking forward to having a guide this time around along with all the assigned books right on the shelf. 
 
 
My prayer throughout our school year is that the Lord will enable me to instill in the kids a love for learning. As a homeschooling parent its difficult to gauge when you've taught a subject "enough" and selected just the right curriculum for their education. By instilling in them a love of learning, my prayer is that whatever shortcomings that exist in my own abilities to teach them will in time be filled by each of the children individually as they grow and learn how to be a person that self educates through their interests and personal passions.
 
Isn't that what being educated is all about? 
 
Education (def.): the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

No comments:

Post a Comment